Monday, February 11, 2013

Rick's State of Mind


I've been a "Walking Dead" fan since Rick Grimes was popped by a candidate for "World's Wildest Police Videos" and I've been stalling on this blog for years.  So now, to feed my passion for this gruesome, human and creative show I've crafted a "Walking Dead" blog dubbed "Walker Blogger."  I can't take all the credit on the name...it was my girlfriend's idea.  I have roughly an hour before part two of Season Three is underway so I will be prepping in the bullpen.  Here goes nothing!

Can you recall the Rick Grimes from season one?  Dignified, lawful, almost as he symbolized the law that appeared to slip away in the post-zombie apocalypse.  Remember his nicely-trimmed hair?  Remember his trimmed beard?  Remember him on his horse, galloping about dead bodies gracefully?  In season one he was law and order, maintaining civility often through simple negotiations and clearheaded thinking.  He was the pragmatic cowboy. 

Now fast forward to Season 3 and ask yourself, what in God’s name happen to Grimes?  He’s done a virtual-360 from the days of espousing the benefits to having a moral code in a time of survival.  Before he used to weigh the pros and cons of killing uninfected humans.  These days he kills without much debate.  Granted, the killings were justified.   But the old Rick would at least think about killing someone before pulling the trigger. 

Then there is the slight stone-cold twitch in Rick’s eyes, a departure from the easygoing persona he once exemplified. Grimes clansmen used to go to him to resolve problems.  These days they rather fix it themselves. 

Here’s what happened: the living dead got to him.  And fittingly, the pair who did him dirty the most, wife Laurie and best frenemy Shane, are dead.  His rage is now in a loop, deprived of the release fueled by his feelings of betrayal caused by those who started it. 

So now Rick is on a path of self-destruction, with visions of Shane and Laurie egging him on, taunting Rick to break his own code.  His hallucinations started with fake phone calls from those who’ve passed away.  Now they’ve become full blown. 

The problem is there was never any closure for Rick, unable to properly say goodbye to anyone who died.  It’s interesting to note that it was Carl, not Rick, who killed Shane and Laurie respectively, depriving Rick of any revenge he may have inflicted. 

But Rick’s mental state has always been tested.  Because he was the leader of the group he was often challenged, prompting him to refine his leadership style but compromising his own mental balance.  I first noticed his mind nearly compromise when he and his group came close to death in “TS-19,” the penultimate Season One episode.  Rick is screaming at the CDC facility intercom, pleading ferociously for Dr. Edwin Jenner to open the doors. 

His propensity to come through has also weighed him down, sometimes resulting in Rick going against his own ethical grain.  It certainly was tested in “Pretty Much Dead Already,” the mid-season 2 finale where Rick shot a walker Sophia Peletier dead, much to Carol’s disgust. 

Then came his anticlimactic showdown with Shane in a moonlit ravine.  Having no mercy for Shane, Rick takes a shot of him, killing him mercilessly.  A new Rick emerged at that point and so did a new mantra: “This isn’t a democracy anymore!” he shouted in the Season 2 finale. 

So what’s in store for Rick in the second act of season 3?  I would imagine the show cannot go on without him, so I would imagine his hallucinations will carry on with some consequences thrown into the mix.  Could he just ditch the group like Daryl did?  Could he kill a member of his group?  Could he exercise his demons? 

I think a variation of that is in the works, with the writers trying to determine how they can slightly deviate from the comic book while appeasing old and new fans.  Time will tell I suppose…

No comments:

Post a Comment